I am Jay Padlan - Friend of the Sea Monitoring Director for the Western Pacific.
Fleets from six fisheries have been approved as compliant with Friend of the Sea requirements, in the Western Pacific:
- the Frabelle purse seine fleet for tuna;
- the Indonesia artisanal trammel nets fishery for tropical prawns;
- the Leigh Fish fleet in New Zealand fishing with short lines and seines;
- the Raptis trawlers for topical prawns in Northern Australia;
- the traditional multihooks Philippines fishery for yellowfin tuna;
- the Vietnam artisanal round one man boats for squid and cuttlefish.
Fourteen companies can supply Friend of the Sea certified products from the Indian Ocean:
- Agifish (pangasius from Vietnam)
- Clean Seas (kingfish and mulloway farmed in Southern Australia)
- FAB Sea Resources, Jarla Trading, Sta Cruz Seafood (tuna from Philippines)
- Frabelle Fishing Corporation (tuna from Papua New Guinea)
- Hue Fisheries Development, Seanamico, Seaprimexco, Stapimex (tropical prawns farmed in Vietnam)
- Ocean Ming (squid and cuttlefish from Vietnam)
- Panca Mitra Multi Perdana (tropical prawns from Indonesia)
- Raptis (tropical prawns from Northern Australia)
- Spring Bay Seafoods (mussels from Tasmania)
I run Chain of Custody spot-checks to at least 5 companies per month, visiting harbors, coldstores, warehouses and processing lines.
Download my updated spot-checks schedule and browse the images of my monitoring activity.