I am Pushpitha Udawatte - Friend of the Sea Monitoring Director for the Indian Ocean. I run continuous spot-checks at harbors, cold stores and factories, to verify that the origin of the Friend of the Sea certified products is actually the one that has been approved by the independent certification audit and that no mixing occurs.
Fleets from three fisheries have been approved as compliant with Friend of the Sea requirements, in the Indian Ocean Area:
- the Sri Lanka multi-hooks shortlines fishery for yellowin tuna;
- the Maldives pole and line ishery for skipjack tuna ;
- the Madagascar fleet of trawlers for shrimps supplying the French company Gel-Peche.
Nine companies can supply Friend of the Sea certified products from the Indian Ocean:
- Ceylon Fresh Seafood, Jay Sea Foods, JP Fresh Products, Northwest Fishery, Rainbow Foods, Tropic Frozen Foods (yellowfin tuna fished in Sri Lanka)
- Cyprea Marine Foods, Euro Global, Lihini Sea Foods, Maldives Quality Seafoods (yellowfin tuna fished in Maldives)
- Ferme Marine de Mahebourg (Goldlined Seabream and Red Drum farmed in Mauritius)
- Gel-Peche (tropical shrimps fished in Madagascar)
I run Chain of Custody spot-checks to at least 5 companies per month.
Download my updated spot-checks schedule and browse through images of my monitoring activity. Some images have been made anonymous for confidentiality rules.
Please feel free to contact me directly in case you need further information.